Saturday 6 November 2010

The first impressions of Sydney

On 28 October, after getting up waaaaaay to early in Auckland in order to catch my airplane, I landed in Sydney.
The road - or rather, the tube - went straight to Frauke's office in Mascot ("It's only two stops from the airport, lady, it's not difficult at all!") where we had lunch together and a cozy chat about life and Adventures and whatnot. Since she had to work again after half an hour, I wended my way into the city and spotted my first glimpse of what everyone imagines when Sydney is mentioned: the Opera House, and looming in the background - the impressive Harbour Bridge. Nice views!
My feelings for the city are kind of mixed right now. First of all, I entered Australia after New Zealand, which is such a beautiful country. Compared to that, Sydney just is your next ordinary big city, once you've seen the eye-catchers. Secondly, the weather hasn't been too good yet, which means that there really wasn't a lot to do for me. Beaches aren't a possibility yet since I want to see those with a clear blue sky in the background, and that's what Sydney is all about, isn't it? So it's been trying to find things to do where I can keep inside for some time (and not spending too much money while doing that, for that matter). Thirdly, Sydney means "work" for me. I have been running up and down the long streets in order to get every practical thing ready in case I find a job here. This was kind of exhausting and trying, especially when you don't really know anyone and you have to start from scratch. Luckily I have a trial shift coming up in The Belgian Beer Cafe in The Rocks. After this shift, if I'm accepted, I might get the job and work over there for a few hours per week, which will make a nice change of scene.
And last but not least, with leaving New Zealand so abruptly, I had to leave certain important people behind and wasn't ready to do that yet. So that on top of everything, has made these first few days pretty trying.
But have no fear, my dear readers. Mary Jay - otherwise known as Marianello, the fifth turtle - is steadily climbing up from her down patch and is trying to make her time here as fun as possible.
The black pants and shoes for the Belgian Beer Cafe are already bought, a visit to the Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife World has been payed (where I was honestly impressed by the giant crocodile, the cute koalas, the fighting kangaroos, and the vicious-looking sharks), on the odd good-weather-day I visited Darling Harbour with Frauke, which was pretty chilled, and I retrieved my RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate, which means I can legally work in licensed premises and I know how to recognise fake ID's - or at least should. I already met a bunch of nice people as well and have some more meet ups lined up, as well as an own bed in the city as of 13 November, address to be gotten on request. Bring on those post packets :-). The place is pretty central so I'm pretty stoked about moving in there - it will be good to have an own haven in this big city.
So, let's just see how long I last here - I'm sure when the sun comes out, you won't hear me complaining anymore :-). Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marie-Anne, weet je al hoe lang je in Sydney gaat blijven? 't Is om te weten of ik een brief zou opsturen... :-) En wat zijn je plannen nadien? XXX Sofie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be careful posting your address on a public blog! I suggest you take off your address and other personal details

    ReplyDelete